fot

Re: [Fot] Dual Tilton Brake Masters on MK1 Spitfire

To: <dodo@texas.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Dual Tilton Brake Masters on MK1 Spitfire
From: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 12:54:12 -0400
If i understand the problem, the fronts are engaging beflre the rears -
usually calipers need much more fluid than wheel cylinders - think of the
relative piston area - so I am surprised it is not the other way around.
One thing you have not mentioned is the bias bar, between the pedal arm and
two piston pusrods, which I assume you have and is usually the means to
adjust relative piston travel front to rear.

My GT6 set-up uses two girling clutch masters - 5/8 bore with a Tilton bias
bar between them.  The "front" master cylinder piston travels more than the
rear given the greater fluid needs of the calipers vs wheel cylinders, so
the bias bar goes from being tilted one direction to the other as the front
master piston travels much further.  I have thought about going to a 3/4
bore for the front and leaving the rear the same, to push 50% more fluid to
the front ("pi" r squared) with the same piston travel.