fot

[Fot] Cost of diesel [was Oil - Since Triumphs Drip...]

To: <spitlist@cox.net>
Subject: [Fot] Cost of diesel [was Oil - Since Triumphs Drip...]
From: Shane Ingate <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 12:06:25 -0400
Joe Curry asked:

> Can anyone explain to me why the cost of Diesel (which I understand
requires
> less refining than gasoline and therefore should be cheaper)  is trying to
> reach prices double thatof gasiline?

2 years ago, the US shifted to using ultra-low sulphur content in diesel.
This
not only required reconfiguring the refineries, but it IS more expensive to
produce than unleaded.  The rest of the world has been using (and paying for)
ULS diesel for many years

You will note that trucks produce far less smoky exhaust than they used to.
I have a '08 Duramax and there is zero soot in the exhaust, and this is due
to the new "catalytic" converters that Cheby are using.  The exhaust now
smells more like propane.

Diesel is $4.90 in central NM.  Needless to say, my truck only gets used for
work.

Shane Ingate in NM