fot

Re: [Fot] mileage plus

To: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [Fot] mileage plus
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:08:15 -0700
Absolutely correct. I'm interested in fuel performance but only in a
market sense. What we're watching is largely manipulated fuel cost
(not just our friends in the gulf, but lots of speculators everywhere)
but it's a good thing in many ways. We're FINALLY seeing some
elasticity effects--people are taking action and interest in
conserving resources is growing. I always believed (hoped) the market
would compensate for increase demand for resources and a shrinking
pie. I'm relieved to see it working so powerfully as it always does.

Of course there's a lot of goofiness and running off in the wrong
directions. But that's human nature. The weak and stupid approaches
will die (unless the government gets involved in propping them up) and
the world will ultimately be a little better off.
On Jun 6, 2008, at 6:00 AM, Robert Lang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not an expert in the area, but "index of performance" was a
> factor in
> days of yore. Not to be a wise-guy, but it seems that the French used
> index of performance to make sure that a french team got some
> mention at
> Le Mans once or twice in the past.
>
> :-)
>
> -ducking for cover-