fot

Re: [Fot] Mileage bragging

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Mileage bragging
From: Shane Ingate <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:54:41 -0400
When we moved to Maryland from California in 2000, we rented
a Crown Vic (the TR6 and our '91 Civic SI was a bit small for the
trip that included 2 Rotties).  I specifically ordered a white CV, and
I stuck on an antenna, wore a crisp blue shirt and aviator glasses,
and cruised at 90+ mph the whole way.  Passed many cruisers going
the opposite way and I waved to the nice policemen.  They waved back.
28 mpg for the trip.  A similar trip in a heavily laden rented Buick LeSabre
(speed limits observed) netted 32 mpg.

My '91 Civic SI gets 35 mpg in my 30 mile rural commute, but that
includes 5 miles of dirt and a 3,000' elevation change each way (I coast
to work, but it is an uphill climb on the way home).  The elevation of
7,500' does not help my mileage, and it  gets pretty breathless up some
steep hills.  I've been looking at superchargers.

The dog hauler (a '99 Taurus wagon) gets 25 mpg on the same commute
(no coasting).  The turbocharged Duramax gets 18 mpg, and says "what hill?"

Shane Ingate in NM