fot

Re: [Fot] Trying to mount an electric fan on a high density radiator

To: John Herrera <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Trying to mount an electric fan on a high density radiator
From: Bill Babcock <billbab@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:17:11 -0700
The battery, and the fact that races are short. In a street car driven
over long distances and averaged, you'd be right, but if you drag
raced that car against another the lack of a fan would be horsepower
to the good.

Also, unless your fan has a very trick clutch it rotates at variable
RPM which is as bad for a fan's efficiency as it is for a propellor.

On Jun 29, 2008, at 3:11 PM, John Herrera wrote:

>> I am trying to mount an electric pusher fan in lieu of the belt
>> driven fan>
> to gain the hp.
>

> I've always wondered how changing to an electric fan causes a gain in
> horsepower. Or, to put it another way, decreases the loss of power
> used to
> drive the fan.
>
> Lets' say, for simplicity, that the electric fan and the belt-driven
> fan move
> the same amount of air. If the fans are equally efficient (maybe
> this is where
> I'm off base), then the same amount of power is used to drive them.
> The only
> thing that has changed is that the power comes from your alternator
> instead of
> the crankshaft. But the alternator robs power from the crankshaft,
> so what do
> you gain? Also you have introduced a middleman into the sytem, which
> increases
> losses.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> John H.