fot

Re: [Fot] Jack Drews Died This Afternoon at Grattan

To: kaskas@cox.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Jack Drews Died This Afternoon at Grattan
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:03:45 EDT
--===============1692429641==

--part1_c94.38a5f730.35db3db1_boundary

In a message dated 08/16/2008 5:25:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
kaskas@cox.net writes:

> We have lost a treasured friend and great tuner of racing equipment. Jack
> had a world of friends  who each have a story and thought about this
> wonderful fellow. To our friend Jack, lost now but never forgotten, a true
> sportsman and grand family man.  Let us all hope that his passing now will
> allow him to continue racing onwards in another theatre.

Amici...

I also was racing my 56 TR3 in that SPRINT RACE at GRATTAN on Saturday
afternoon.  Uncle Jack had just passed (lapped) me early in Lap Ten.  I did not
see
the accident, but as I approached the flag bridge, I saw them grabbing for
flags.  As I approached Turn ONE, I saw Jack's gorgeous blue and white TR4
standing straight up in the air, resting on the boot.  The crash had just
happened.
The car had gone over a significant curb, through a gravel trap, and hit an
earth berm at full bore.  After the initial impact, it must have launched
straight up in the air and come back down on its boot.  Corner ONE had still
not
gone YELLOW, but they were reaching for the flags.  I made it through ONE and
got a RED FLAG from Corner TWO.

My wife Shirley was standing with Frances Drews watching the race from the
deck above the garages on the front straight.  From that distance it is pretty
hard to see clearly what happened.  But they knew there was a big crash, and
they knew it was Jack.

I don't care to say much more about the accident, because it was terrible.
The wheel base on Jack's car appears to be 10-12" shorter than it used to be.
Jack was my dear friend.  I hate to say it, but I do not think his serious
injuries were the kind no one would want to live through.  Kas suggests Jack is
now racing in another theater.  It's a metaphor, but a great thought I share.

Anyone who knew Jack really close, knows he was very, very religious.  We all
knew him as a TRIUMPH GURU, but Jack was multifaceted.  He was the Choir
Leader at his church.  The VSCDA often has a short, informal non-denominational
service on Sunday mornings at race events.  Jack Drews always attended those
services, and would often lead them.  There was one held yesterday at GRATTAN
as
well.  Jack was not able to lead it, but I'll bet he was there in spirit.
Many gave their feelings about the tragedy.  There was a common thread.
Consensus was that Jack had a heart attack, or maybe fainted, doing something
he loved
to do...he was racing.  No need to feel bad for Jack.  He is doing just fine!
 Feel bad for those of us left behind.  For Frances, for Tony, his daughters,
grandchildren, and the rest of us.  It is our great loss.

JACK DREWS...First in Class, First Overall, every day, in every way.

Bill Dentinger

**************
It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your
travel deal here.

--part1_c94.38a5f730.35db3db1_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  COLOR=3D"#400040" SIZE=3D3 P=
TSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" FACE=3D"Baskerville Old Face" LANG=3D"0">In a me=
ssage dated 08/16/2008 5:25:46 PM Central Daylight Time, kaskas@cox.net writ=
es:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"=
><BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">We have lost a treasured friend=
 and great tuner of racing equipment. Jack <BR>
had a world of friends&nbsp; who each have a story and thought about this <B=

wonderful fellow. To our friend Jack, lost now but never forgotten, a true <=

sportsman and grand family man.&nbsp; Let us all hope that his passing now w=
ill <BR>
allow him to continue racing onwards in another theatre.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#400040" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" FACE=3D"Baskerville Old Face"=
 LANG=3D"0"><BR>
Amici...<BR>
<BR>
I also was racing my 56 TR3 in that SPRINT RACE at GRATTAN on Saturday after=
noon.&nbsp; Uncle Jack had just passed (lapped) me early in Lap Ten.&nbsp; I=
 did not see the accident, but as I approached the flag bridge, I saw them g=
rabbing for flags.&nbsp; As I approached Turn ONE, I saw Jack's gorgeous blu=
e and white TR4 standing straight up in the air, resting on the boot.&nbsp;=20=
The crash had just happened.&nbsp; The car had gone over a significant curb,=
 through a gravel trap, and hit an earth berm at full bore.&nbsp; After the=20=
initial impact, it must have launched straight up in the air and come back d=
own on its boot.&nbsp; Corner ONE had still not gone YELLOW, but they were r=
eaching for the flags.&nbsp; I made it through ONE and got a RED FLAG from C=
orner TWO.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
My wife Shirley was standing with Frances Drews watching the race from the d=
eck above the garages on the front straight.&nbsp; From that distance it is=20=
pretty hard to see clearly what happened.&nbsp; But they knew there was a bi=
g crash, and they knew it was Jack.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I don't care to say much more about the accident, because it was terrible.&n=
bsp; The wheel base on Jack's car appears to be 10-12" shorter than it used=20=
to be.&nbsp; Jack was my dear friend.&nbsp; I hate to say it, but I do not t=
hink his serious injuries were the kind no one would want to live through.&n=
bsp; Kas suggests Jack is now racing in another theater.&nbsp; It's a metaph=
or, but a great thought I share.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Anyone who knew Jack really close, knows he was very, very religious.&nbsp;=20=
We all knew him as a TRIUMPH GURU, but Jack was multifaceted.&nbsp; He was t=
he Choir Leader at his church.&nbsp; The VSCDA often has a short, informal n=
on-denominational service on Sunday mornings at race events.&nbsp; Jack Drew=
s always attended those services, and would often lead them.&nbsp; There was=
 one held yesterday at GRATTAN as well.&nbsp; Jack was not able to lead it,=20=
but I'll bet he was there in spirit.&nbsp; Many gave their feelings about th=
e tragedy.&nbsp; There was a common thread.&nbsp; Consensus was that Jack ha=
d a heart attack, or maybe fainted, doing something he loved to do...he was=20=
racing.&nbsp; No need to feel bad for Jack.&nbsp; He is doing just fine!&nbs=
p; Feel bad for those of us left behind.&nbsp; For Frances, for Tony, his da=
ughters, grandchildren, and the rest of us.&nbsp; It is our great loss.<BR>
<BR>
JACK DREWS...First in Class, First Overall, every day, in every way.<BR>
<BR>
Bill Dentinger<BR>
&nbsp; </FONT><BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>It's only a deal if it's where y=
ou want to go. Find your travel deal here.<BR>      (http://information.trav=
el.aol.com/deals?ncid=3Daoltrv00050000000047)</HTML>