fot

Re: [Fot] State of F1

To: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>, "Shane Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] State of F1
From: "David Talbott" <dtalbott@archrepro.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:31:26 -0700
This reminds me of a discussion with Benoit Mandelbrot on the NewsHour last
night (in regard to rippling turbulence within the economy) during which he
said:

"The word "turbulence" is one which actually is common to physics and to
social scientists, to economics. Everything which involves turbulence is
enormously more complicated, not just a little bit more complicated, not
just one year more schooling, just enormously more complicated."

Mandelbrot, in addition to his mathematical fame (the "Father of Fractals"),
originally studied aeronautical engineering and later worked in fluid
dynamics, so if this cat still has trouble calculating turbulence, it's no
wonder we haven't yet figured out how to model it on computers and we still
need to mock it up to measure it.

DT