fot

[Fot] Macau Spitfire

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Macau Spitfire
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:58:28 EST
Amici...

The December issue of Triumph World has an article about a recently
completed, and classy replica of the Macau Spitfire.  Replica or not, it's a
beautiful
car and the result of a seventeen year labor of love by Bernard Robinson, the
editor of The Courier magazine for the Triumph Sports Six Club.  The article
reminded me that in the late 1980s I saw the original one off Macau (or what
was left of it) advertised for sale at a Texas exotic car dealership
(somethinorother Junction).  It was described as an ex-Kastner hybrid.  At the
time, I
was sure interested, but Texas was far away, and at the time I had seven places
for every nickel I had, and for some I didn't have.  I always wondered what
happened to it.  According to the article it has been moving around, including
some time in a private collection in Switzerland.  Neat looking car, with
exotic body work.

Another article in the same issue that caught my eye was about a late 1950s
Standard Atlas caravan entitled the Little Blue Bus.  We'd call it a mini-Van.
Its blue and white Triumph shield is referred to as the 'open book' badge,
and is stretched to at least twice its normal width, with no added height.
This
supposedly befitting the Atlas' ample nose bonnet.  It appears to have a
speedometer and no other gauges.  Looks like it would seat nine people, but I
don't know if they'd get to go anywhere because it has Standard Ten running
gear,
which means a 948cc engine.  Wow.  Later an Atlas Major was offered, with a
1700cc Ensign engine.

Bill Dentinger

AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and
all other Holiday needs. Search Now.
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212792382x1200798498/aol?redir=http://searchblog.aol.com/2008/11/04/happy-holid
ays-from-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)