fot

Re: [Fot] TR3 timing cover bolt threads

To: "Greg & Alison Blake" <ablake2@austin.rr.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 timing cover bolt threads
From: "WILLIAM TOBIN" <william.tobin3@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 00:48:09 -0500
  Hi Greg: I ran into this on my TR6.
  The difference between the British 3/8 pipe and 3/8 American Standard Pipe
is very small. 1 thread per inch and 0,010 inch diameter.
  I just took a 3/8 NPT tap and tapped the threads in the housing to
American Standard tapered pipe threads. Very easy, Now the Auto Meter
adapter screws right into the housing. Before that I brazed an Auto Meter
adapter to an original temp fitting; not pretty but worked.
  I think the part number is 1074-3/8 NPT for the adapter.
   By the way, the threads on the other end of the adapter where the temp
bulb screws in are 5/8 x 11. Stewart Warner uses that thread size too.
  Also, the BPT isn't tapered and used a washer (gasket) to seal it. The NPT
is tapered and doesn't need the gasket. Pipe dope or teflon tape works to
help seal and aid in removal of the NPT fittings.
  Pegasus has a diagram in their catalog comparing thread sizes, including
AN.
  If you need a 3/8 NTP tap, let me know; I probably have several.

  Hope this made sense. I spent 2 1/2 hours this morning shoveling the 3
feet of snow off my garage roof and I'm tired.  (Tired, tired of playing the
game, ain't it a fricking shame, I'm tired.) Blazing Saddles, 1974, Madeline
Khan's character. Great satire. But I digress. I need some sleep.
  Good luck, Bill---- Original Message -----