fot

Re: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!

To: "Mark Eginton" <markconsultation@twcny.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 07:28:03 -1000
You know, there really is. The fact that a guy with a NASCAR Triumph
finishes in front and you finish in the back doesn't change the
situation. Almost all races lump racer classifications  together, and
people who want to win (like me) want to win overall, not win their
class. I need to beat those Loti, Listers and Chapparals, regardless
of the class they're in. I'm not racing against guys with stock
Triumphs, I'm racing against guys who have done all that I have done,
or all that has been done to their cars over the years. We're just on
the track at the same time. I'm not foolish enough to think that i
beat you, or to think it matters that Peyote is a lot faster than a
"true vintage Triumph.

It's always a question of who YOU beat, whether you've been having a
duel with a guy in 23rd place all season, and finally passed him, or
you beat the guy in second, who usually beats you. If we didn't want
to win we wouldn't race. The fun is the same, the rewards are the
same. The only difference is which demons drive the driver.

And finally there are a few vintage organizations with very strict
rules. They usually don't have enough members to run independently, so
they operate at existing races run under other organizations. You can
always start your own, and give out your own trophies, have your own
award ceremony. And still have access to all the races anyone else does.

In general what people are talking about here is getting rid of the
people that want to run at the far reaches of the rulebook and beyond
to let the purists run without them. I wonder why that is so
important? If it's really "all about the cars" then why is this even
an issue?   I maintain that you need to be careful what you wish for.
Twenty racers can't rent a racetrack these days.

On Feb 15, 2009, at 5:36 AM, Mark Eginton wrote:

> Seems like there ought to be a separate class for people with a
> stronger
> "Vintage" ethic but where do you draw the line? It always comes to
> shades of
> grey e.g. I-did-not-have-have-sex-with-THAT-woman.
>
> A true vintage specimine that blows up at 6500k and consumes all the
> vintage
> TR3 rods vs a Miata with a tr3 rear view mirror...
>
> ...from the peanut gallery...

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com