fot

Re: [Fot] detroit locker

To: BillDentin@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] detroit locker
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:20:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 BillDentin@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 03/13/2009 12:20:31 PM Central Standard Time,
> Billb@bnj.com writes:
>

>> You just eliminated the option I'd take. You can get stronger axles,
>> and that might suffice, but rolling a race car just isn't that much
>> fun. If your axle breaks you really only want the race to be over, not
>> the season.
>>
>> I don't know of any other option that retains the wheel if the axle
>> breaks.
>>

> I can't explain it, but there was some sort of FORD rear axle conversion that
> a guy in Florida came up with (Abacus?).  I know that John Harkness bought
> one for his TR3A after rolling it over at GingerMan on time.  John told me
>that
> it was big, heavy, and convoluting, but worked, and he didn't want to roll
> over again.

Harrness' car had a Ford 9" installed (it still does, as far as I know...
but the car hasn't run in a while)

But it's a Ford 9", narrowed, with full-floater axles. If the axle breaks,
the wheels stay on the car. Nice set up, if a bit of overkill. A tad heavy
too.

I agree with the sentiments about the Southwick - you get the vintage
spirit and a measure of safety. The Ford 9" is not exactly all in the
vintage spirit. But balling a TR4 is unkool, especially if you are in it!

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489