fot

Re: [Fot] detroit locker

To: Mark Vaden <markvaden@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] detroit locker
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:02:38 -0500
There is no picture on their website so I can only make an educated
guess.  Looks like the axle costs 200 pounds, and the hub costs 150
pounds without VAT.  The fact that the hub is a separate part
strongly suggests to me that this is an inferior solution to the
Southwick conversion where the hub and axle are the same part.  The
axles used in this conversion are also used by local dirt track stock
car guys.  If the axle breaks (and it can handle V-8 power and
bouncing off of the concrete wall), the wheel stays on the car.  I
don't know what the exchange rate is, but for 700 pounds for the set
plus shipping, I'd think that the Southwick conversion at $800 to
$850 would be the better value.  And with that one I KNOW the wheels
won't come off.  In my case, the axle broke and the hub with the
wheel still attached left the car.  That's the crux of the problem
with the stock type of axle even using excellent steel.

I was just at Bob Southwick's place this evening, he is certainly
still in business!

- Tony