fot

Re: [Fot] Short Version: Harmonic Dampener Question

To: Charly Mitchel <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Short Version: Harmonic Dampener Question
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:21:47 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Charly Mitchel wrote:

> This is interesting to me.  I disassembled a motor that was used in the
> 2007 race season to see the same thing.  I too had purchased the crank
> hub removal kit from the same person.  This seems to be a problem with
> his kit. Is he redesigning the kit?  And is he providing the past
> purchasers with a replacement kit?

The guy that I got the part from, Rick Patton, is a stand-up guy. He will
replace the part with one cut a tad deeper if you ask him.

I had him make me one that has the recess much deeper, .400 come sto mind,
although I'd have to measure the part to be sure.

He made the new one at no cost.

He is aware that some cranks have a slightly longer snout owing to how the
parts are manufactured, although I have no idea how he determined that. He
did ask me things like "did you install shims behind the crank driven cam
gear" and stuff. But if you look at the face of the eliminator and the
face of the dampener, you can see some fretting where the parts touch.

In my case, the motor has maybe 20 minutes of time between installation
and when I figured out the parts has loosened up. For the end of the
season, I put the stock fan extension on and that stayed tight for two
events (probably 20 - 25 minutes of run time.)

All I need now is another dampener to see if everything is tight.

:-)

I've got 4 in the garage, but two of them are totally unsuitable for a
race motor (really nasty rubber elastomer!!). I suppose I should try them
for fitment on the key and then go from there. Honestly, I hadn't thought
of that! Yikes.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489