fot

[Fot] Road America brief report and video / pic links

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Road America brief report and video / pic links
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:46:01 -0500
Just got finished unloading from last weekend at Road America,
running with SVRA.  Weather was a bit on the cool side, Sunday was
gorgeous.  Car is running great, ran a 2:52 in the first session,
couldn't equal that until the final race.  Had fun in the qualifying
sessions, but had a frustrating qualifying race Sat afternoon.  Kept
getting held up in the twisty bits and then passed on the
straights.  Dropped from 6th to 10th.  Was run off the track by a TVR
between the kink and the carousel on the last lap - had a run on him
but had to cool my jets.

Sunday we were gridded by finishing order Saturday, so I was prepared
for more frustration.  However, I had an excellent race - ended up
moving back up to 7th.  Held off the TVR with some minor blocking
(hey, what comes around goes around), passed Jeff Johnk in his fast
yellow healey, but a Morgan flew by.  Had some great dicing with
356's, came out all grins although a bit oil covered from the silver
one...  Got down to a low 2:51 in the race.  Car is running as well
as ever, and my Larry cam lets me turn those time while shifting at 6
grand.  I think the track's grip has gone down some from a couple
years ago where I had the magical race that got me into the
49's.  Maybe the Toyos I was running then had a bit more grip than
the current Speedsters too...

Light turnout for this event, hope that's not a portend of things to come.

Anyway, I posted the ~ 25 minute minorly edited video to Picasa here
(fewer titles this time, Chris):
http://picasaweb.google.com/tony.drews.88/RoadAmericaMay2009?feat=email#5337192401664799986
Photos from the event here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tony.drews.88/RoadAmericaMay2009?feat=email#5337192401664799986
There are several shots of Bill Dentinger getting awarded a giant
bottle of wine for his yeoman's service as treasurer of VSDCA.

Bob Wismer's car ran flawlessly all weekend, Bill had an odd problem
where his car wouldn't move that kept him out of Sunday's race, but
then he was later able to drive it to the trailer.  The only other
Triumph was John Frederici, he had tranny problems and didn't make
the Sunday race.

- Tony Drews