fot

Re: [Fot] setting sleeves/barrels

To: "'Mark Pendergrass'" <mpendy@dishmail.net>, "'friends of triumph'"
Subject: Re: [Fot] setting sleeves/barrels
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 10:10:02 -0500
One thing I did when putting in new sleeves last summer was to get a 12 inch
extension bit for a 1/4 inch drill and mount a wire brush on the end to get
down to the sleeve seat and wire brush it to get it really clean.  Then
wiped it clean with lacquer thinner.  Didn't have appreciable difference
measuring with sleeves clamped in place and just setting in place.  Did have
a heck of a time to get a good measurement.  Tried flat, ground bar across
sleeve and measuring with feeler gauge between bar and top of block, depth
micrometer from sleeve to top of block and lastly, sweeping a dial indicator
from top of sleeve to top of block with base of indicator on best part of
block I could find.  Still had about 0.004 on manifold side of block and
about 0.006 on distributor side of block after averaging (sort or) all the
readings. This was with the stock figure 8 gaskets that came with the
sleeves from Ken Gilanders at BFE.  After a lot of discussion with Jack
Drews, put it together that way with a Payen head gasket and have had no
problem in two race weekends and one school day (6 sessions).  We're running
about 11.1 to 1 compression.  FWIW

Tim Murphy
1961 TR4 #317