fot

Re: [Fot] setting sleeves/barrels

To: "'friends of triumph'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] setting sleeves/barrels
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 10:11:43 -0700
> Still had about 0.004 on manifold side of block and
> about 0.006 on distributor side of block after averaging (sort or) all the
> readings.

IMO, some of the cylinder blocks are simply cut wrong.  My street 3A has a
block from a 56 TR3 that is even worse than that; about .001" on one side
and .004" to .005" on the other.  I went through a BUNCH of headgaskets
before thinking to check both sides!

Decking the block didn't appear to be a viable option, since the pistons
were already kissing the head with a shim steel head gasket.  So I added
some copper wire to a stock head gasket to put extra pressure on the liner
tops.  Never had another head gasket leak, even with the high compression
head.

-- Randall