fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 head gasket leak today at PIR

To: "'Triumph Friends of'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 head gasket leak today at PIR
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 07:28:04 -0700
> Clean the sealing surfaces really well and check the liner
> protrusion - put a straight edge across the liner and use a feeler
> gauge to see how much they stand proud of the rest of the block.  You
> want a little protrusion but no more than say 0.005".

Since you are having problems, be sure to check on both sides!  I fought
head gasket problems for years on my street TR3A (with a TR3 motor) that
turned out to be caused by the deck not being square to the liner bores.
Protrusion was fine on the side I always checked, but less than .001" on the
other side!

Although not the best solution, adding .020" copper O-rings to the head
gasket around each cylinder made a suitable band-aid for the problem.  I
drove it that way for quite a few years, and it was still not leaking when
the car got wrecked.  I used 'electrical' tin/lead rosin core solder to tack
the copper wire to the gasket; but Ken G's suggestion of super glue would
probably work just as well.

Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com