fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 head gasket leak today at PIR

To: Mike Mehl <mike.mehl@yahoo.com>, Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 head gasket leak today at PIR
From: Kas Kastner <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 8:35:03 -0700
Just as a bit of information, I believe it is Snap-On that makes a special off
set box end wrench (it is a "C" shape) so that you can torque the head without
removing the rockers.  We used these on all the pre-delivery Triumphs cars
brought into the country back in the early 60's. I believe I still have one
somewhere.
---- Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com> wrote:

=============
The stock composite gasket (Payen AE 330) is the easiest to get to
seal, and to me is the gasket of choice for at track
repairs.  Actually, I use it always just because I hate changing head
gaskets at the track.

You'll need to take the carbs / exhaust loose and pull the
head.  Clean the sealing surfaces really well and check the liner
protrusion - put a straight edge across the liner and use a feeler
gauge to see how much they stand proud of the rest of the block.  You
want a little protrusion but no more than say 0.005".  They should be
even with each other as well.  A liner with 0.005" next to a liner
with 0.002" protrusion is a problem.  Look for obvious problems like
a crack in the block to one of the stud holes too.  If you've got
some copper coat or Edelbrock Gaskacinch coat the gasket with that
and install the head.  Torque to 100 ft lbs in increments (say 60 ft
lbs, then 80 ft lbs then 100 ft lbs), working from the center to the
ends of the head.  For the final torque I always go back to the
center of the head after I make it to the ends because the gasket
crushes a bit more.

Reassemble valvetrain making sure to keep the adjuster screws in the
ends of the pushrods.  Set the valves.  Install the manifolds.  Fill
with water, and warm it up.  After you have it hot for a bit (maybe
run one session?), you'll want to re-torque the head.  You'll need to
pull the rockers and the valve cover studs to do that (as you would
have had to when removing the head).

Hope it works out for you!

Good luck, Tony Drews