fot

Re: [Fot] Distributor gear failure

To: "'Friends of Triumph'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Distributor gear failure
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 05:11:33 -0700
> If the distributor gear is running on the block face, is that
> the right position?

The gear shouldn't run on the block face (again assuming we are talking
4-cylinder wet liner), but instead runs on top of a brass bushing (Stanpart
56405) that also carries the drive shaft to the oil pump.

So IMO if you want to move the gear upwards, the first step would be to
replace that bushing with a new one.  I believe that should give you the
proper position of the gear relative to the camshaft.  But if it needs to
come higher than that, I would suggest fitting shims between the flange of
the bushing and the cylinder block, so the gear continues to ride on the
bushing face.

> If this is uncertain then how to measure the right mesh position?
> Do I have to color the gears to see the contact point like if
> I would adjust the rear axle?

Makes sense to me, but I've never tried it.

Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html