fot

Re: [Fot] Shimming the rocker pedestals ?

To: toodamnfunky@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Shimming the rocker pedestals ?
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 09:26:37 -0700
Rocker arm geometry is critical. You want the rocker to have the same angle
downwards at full lift that it has upwards on the cam base circle (where the
valve clearance is set). You get that right first and then get the right
length pushrods. If you have good quality pushrods you can get them shortened
by a machine shop, or just order new ones from Smith.

On May 4, 2011, at 7:10 AM, toodamnfunky@comcast.net wrote:

> FoT
>
> I just built a fresh motor with a different block and discovered my
pushrods
> are too long.
>
> I had new ( big ) valves put in and started with a prepared from stock
block.

> .008 was taken off the block and I canbt remember how much off the head to
> give me 12.5:1 comp ratio. I would guess the head was shaved over .120b.
>
> Anyway, while doing the final assembly and prepping to run it in, my
adjusters
> are run out all the way to max. There is a full 3/16b of thread projecting
> from the adjustment screw. I got cylinders 1& 2 to adjust to .22/.24 lash
but
> when I got to # 3
>
> that's where the adjuster had no effect, that was my first clue.
>
> Our first race of the season is on the 13 th so I need to find a solution
in
> the next few days. One thing I have always wondered about is why couldnbt
> the pedestals just be raised to compensate instead of shortening all the
> pushrods.
>
> Thanks again for input,

> Jim G.

Bill Babcock