fot

[Fot] needle bearings in rockers

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] needle bearings in rockers
From: "Richard Good" <goodparts@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:38:55 -0400
Needle bearings are widely used and well proven in rockers.  I did a search
some time ago and all the roller rocker manufacturers I could find were
using needle bearings at the shaft and the better ones had needle bearings
in the roller also.  Harland Sharp's web site lists roller rockers for a
whole host of applications and from what I could find all, except those for
use MG and Triumph, have needle bearings at the shaft.  I could not
determine if they had needle bearings in the roller or not.  I assume they
had to use bronze bushings in the MG and Triumph rockers because they do not
make a shaft for those applications.  A good hard shaft of correct design is
required for needle bearings.  Do not try to run them on a replacement
original shaft, even if it has been nitrided.  It will not hold up.  The
right needle bearing riding on the right shaft will run much longer than any
bronze bushing.

I designed and started production of roller rockers for the Triumph six
cylinder and small four cylinders in 1993 and a few years later for the big
four cylinder.  Since then I have sold over 650 sets and all have had needle
bearings at the shaft.  Since 1996 all have had needle bearings in the
roller.  They are holding up just fine.  My design has oil channels feeding
to the roller and the push rod cup and control of oil spill from the ends of
the needle bearings.

Regards,
Richard Good
Good Parts Inc.