fot

Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE
From: <yellow04@tr4racer.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 06:47:10 -0500
Good question.

The ladder frames under the TR2-TR4 seem to be much more rust resistant than
the wishbone frames under the TR4A-TR6. I have come across numerous rusty
project cars over the years, and have seen plenty of rusted out TR3's and
4's with what appear to be good frames, but I have never seen a rusty TR4A,
250 or 6 that did not need extensive frame work. I should add I have come
across plenty of nice wishbone framed Triumphs sitting on frames in dire
need of attention.

I know the spring towers and cross members are different between the ladder
and wishbone frames, and I believe the newer wishbone frame design is more
robust. However, because of their propensity for rust, I'd venture a guess
that the wishbone framed cars share the probability of failure in the areas
Joe mentioned.

Remember, the stess we put on these cars running them on track with today's
racing tires is way beyond what the designers ever dreamed possible. You
need to reinforce many key areas, keep the frame clean, paint it with
something that will not hide cracks, and be very diligent with close
inspections between race weekends.

Henry
yellow04@tr4racer.com