fot

Re: [Fot] Advice on Differential - Stock, Lock or LSD

To: Chuck Gee <chasgee@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Advice on Differential - Stock, Lock or LSD
From: Bill Babcock <ponobill@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:46:56 -1000
Cc: "fot-bounces@autox.team.net" <fot-bounces@autox.team.net>, FOT List <fot@autox.team.net>
I'm very fond of a good LSD, they give you all the traction you're going to
get without drama. Lockers are dramatic and affect the handling. I don't see a
need to have something more that I need to manage. Welded is fine except for
the handling oddities--again, something you have to drive around. I like
having the car take care of that stuff so I don't have to.

On Jan 16, 2013, at 1:39 PM, Chuck Gee <chasgee@aol.com> wrote:

> I've always run welded diffs in my cars.  I don't know about them being the
> advanced choice, but they are cheap and very effective, especially in light
> cars like ours.  I also have Detroit Lockers that I haven't played with
yet.
> Kas and Barker like them better than welded.  If I had one at Portland in
the
> rain a few years ago, the rear end may have been more forgiving and I might
> not ended in the wall.
>
> That's what Jerry Barker tells me anyway.
>
> Chuck
>
> On Jan 16, 2013, at 10:04 AM, jason@multivintage.com wrote:
>
>> Hey Chuck, lots of interesting feedback here. If I were in your position,
> I'd buy a couple good used 3.89's. (From a reliable used Triumph parts guy,
> like TSI or similar trusted source)
>> Speaking from experience and paying specific attention to what Steve said.
> (He went through slow progression of set-ups that actually get harder and
> harder on the drive train with each developement) Like all of us GT6 guys,
you
> will be embarking on a long path of finding drivetrain solidity that fits
your
> driving style. In this process, you are most likely going to destroy a few
key
> components. (Every one of us has). Perhaps, for  the process of learning
how
> to drive this car at hi speed and getting it initially sorted. For your
first
> season, you may be very wise in the pocketbook, to start a regular old
(good)
> stock diff.
>> I think that (specifically for the gt6) you can take the Quaife off the
> table. In the end, I agree with Scott and Steve; the welded set up is the
> advanced choice.
>> BUT, its effectiveness leaves no room for errors in the transition between
> gears. Perfect rev matching is required and lots of seat time prior to a
> "trick" diff. may serve you well.
>>
>> Jason Ostrowski
>> Friendly Ghost Racing

But