fot

Re: [Fot] TR coolant pressure/flow

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR coolant pressure/flow
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 15:45:29 -0600
Greg,
I don't have an answer to your question regarding pressures, but I had a
similar arrangement in my TR3.  The Chevy style radiator is a great
idea, because it eliminates the worry of overheating. I cut off the
radiator fill cap and plugged it off, since it is unreachable anyway.
I put the expansion tank in (from Pegasus I believe) so that I would
have a way to fill it.  I wanted to have water flowing thru the
expansion tank to effectively increase the volume of water in the
system.  I went with the return to the suction side of the pump with 1/8
inch pipe and small diameter hose to keep the flow rate down.  I drilled
and tapped the thermostat housing for a drain valve so I could bleed all
the air out.  It worked very well and was one of the best upgrades I did
to the car. Some would argue that you should have a cap to regulate the
pressure downstream from the thermostat, but I found that it worked fine
with something like a 7 lb cap on the expansion tank.  You would think
this would open up due to pumping pressure.  I think if I did it over
again, I'd just put a cap somewhere downstream from the thermostat and
eliminate the expansion tank.  I could probably find some photos if
you'd like to see them.
Larry Young