fot

Re: [Fot] Kastner Cup Photos and a first question

To: "BillDentin@aol.com" <BillDentin@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Kastner Cup Photos and a first question
From: Jhouathome <jhouathome@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:39:31 -0500
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>, "joeg@neb.rr.com" <joeg@neb.rr.com>

--Apple-Mail-92D7B235-F66A-4F15-AE18-4E62BBA81FBE
        charset=us-ascii

Well put Bill!  Most of us treasure our image as inhabiting the lowest econo=
mic quartile relative to the price of the cars, but living several levels up=
 in terms of the cars ability to perform on the track.  I have always prefer=
red the traditional definition of "ghetto" as well.  I recall once in Monter=
rey an extensive gathering of Italian exotica clustered under a banner which=
 read "Benvenuti Ghetto Italiana!"  Good enough for million dollar Ferraris,=
 good enough for me.
John
Sent from my iPad

On Sep 10, 2013, at 9:25 AM, BillDentin@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 09/09/2013 9:05:21 PM Central Daylight Time, joeg@neb.r=
r.com writes:
>=20
>=20
>> I have many questions after attending this event; but I'll start with one=
.
>> Why do we call it the "Triumph Ghetto" when high class operations like th=
>> West Coast Crew in Tony Garmey's Ferrari Transporter, and so many others a=
re
>> there?  And then you add high class people like Peggy and Kas? This is no=

>> "ghetto" scene, my friends.
>=20
>=20
> Of course not, and for sure...there is no shortage of Class in the Triumph=
 Paddock.  But 'Triumph Ghetto' is certainly not used in a mean spirited man=
ner.  It is just an attempt at some self-depreciating, tongue in cheek humor=
, as well as a reference to our humble beginnings. =20
>=20
> My dictionary defines ghetto as "a section of a city, especially a thickly=
 populated slum area, inhabited by members of an ethnic or other minority gr=
oup often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hard=
ships." =20
>=20
> In a way that can be used to describe us.  Back in the so-called 'Golden A=
ge', when Kas was just a kid, the paddock was full of full of exotic sports c=
ars, most of who's names ended in a vowel and cost wheel barrows full of dol=
lars.  TRIUMPHs were different.  They had a price tag that was reachable (ba=
rely) by the common man.  Thus many people who bought TRIUMPHs, were folk re=
gularly challenged by economic restrictions, pressures, and other hardships.=
  But at those golden age events, they showed up..as the low budget, back ya=
rd efforts they were, and clustered together.  No gold chains around their n=
ecks, they were bonded brothers (and sisters), competing against the other, m=
ore glamorous, well-funded racing efforts.  Heck, even Kas' TRIUMPH factory b=
acked effort was very 'low budget'.  But history documents the fact that TRI=
UMPH's performance record was Top Shelf.  Based strictly on the number of wi=
ns (volume), TRIUMPH can lay a claim to the most successful sports car perfo=
rmance record of all time.  Consider, the performance of the TR4 caused SCCA=
 to change the way race cars were grouped at their events.
>=20
> I suggest that these days, when the term Triumph Ghetto is used today, it i=
s just a reference to our humble, low budget beginnings.  And, let's face it=
...some of that continues today.  Many of the vintage TRIUMPH racers I know h=
ave more than one place for every nickel they have available.  They scrimp a=
nd save to be able to race at these events.  And just like back in the day..=
.they go FAST.
>=20
> Bill Dentinger
>      =20
ol.com
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-92D7B235-F66A-4F15-AE18-4E62BBA81FBE
        charset=utf-8

re our image as inhabiting the lowest economic quartile relative to the pric=
e of the cars, but living several levels up in terms of the cars ability to p=
erform on the track. &nbsp;I have always preferred the traditional definitio=
n of "ghetto" as well. &nbsp;I recall once in Monterrey an extensive gatheri=
ng of Italian exotica clustered under a banner which read "Benvenuti Ghetto I=
taliana!" &nbsp;Good enough for million dollar Ferraris, good enough for me.=
M, <a href=3D"mailto:BillDentin@aol.com";>BillDentin@aol.com</a> wrote:<br><b=
olor=3D"#400040" size=3D"3" ptsize=3D"12" family=3D"SANSSERIF" face=3D"Arial=
" lang=3D"0">In a message dated 09/09/2013 9:05:21 PM Central Daylight Time,=
ffffff" size=3D"2" ptsize=3D"10" family=3D"SANSSERIF" face=3D"Arial" lang=3D=
"0"><br>
FT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I have many questions after a=
ttending this event; but I'll start with one.<br>
Why do we call it the "Triumph Ghetto" when high class operations like the<b=
r>
West Coast Crew in Tony Garmey's Ferrari Transporter, and so many others are=
there?&nbsp; And then you add high class people like Peggy and Kas? This is n=
o<br>
"ghetto" scene, my friends.<br>
ffffff" size=3D"3" ptsize=3D"12" family=3D"SANSSERIF" face=3D"Arial" lang=3D=
"0"><br>
Of course not, and for sure...there is no shortage of Class in the Triumph P=
addock.&nbsp; But 'Triumph Ghetto' is certainly not used in a mean spirited m=
anner.&nbsp; It is just an attempt at some self-depreciating, tongue in chee=
k humor, as well as a reference to our humble beginnings.&nbsp; <br>
My dictionary defines ghetto as "a section of a city, especially a thickly p=
opulated slum area, inhabited by members of an ethnic or other minority grou=
p often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardsh=
ips."&nbsp; <br>
In a way that can be used to describe us.&nbsp; Back in the so-called 'Golde=
n Age', when Kas was just a kid, the paddock was full of full of exotic spor=
ts cars, most of who's names ended in a vowel and cost wheel barrows full of=
 dollars.&nbsp; TRIUMPHs were different.&nbsp; They had a price tag that was=
 reachable (barely) by the common man.&nbsp; Thus many people who bought TRI=
UMPHs, were folk regularly challenged by economic restrictions, pressures, a=
nd other hardships.&nbsp; But at those golden age events, they showed up..as=
 the low budget, back yard efforts they were, and clustered together.&nbsp; N=
o gold chains around their necks, they were bonded brothers (and sisters), c=
ompeting against the other, more glamorous, well-funded racing efforts.&nbsp=
; Heck, even Kas' TRIUMPH factory backed effort was very 'low budget'.&nbsp;=
 But history documents the fact that TRIUMPH's performance record was Top Sh=
elf.&nbsp; Based strictly on the number of wins (volume), TRIUMPH can lay a c=
laim to the most successful sports car performance record of all time.&nbsp;=
 Consider, the performance of the TR4 caused SCCA to change the way race car=
s were grouped at their events.<br>
I suggest that these days, when the term Triumph Ghetto is used today, it is=
 just a reference to our humble, low budget beginnings.&nbsp; And, let's fac=
e it...some of that continues today.&nbsp; Many of the vintage TRIUMPH racer=
s I know have more than one place for every nickel they have available.&nbsp=
; They scrimp and save to be able to race at these events.&nbsp; And just li=
ke back in the day...they go FAST.<br>
Bill Dentinger<br>
f=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></s=
ref=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/jhouathome@aol.com";>http://=

--Apple-Mail-92D7B235-F66A-4F15-AE18-4E62BBA81FBE--

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive