fot

[Fot] Subject: Re: TR4 Pinion bearing assembly question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Subject: Re: TR4 Pinion bearing assembly question
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 22:56:14 -0500 (EST)
Full-name: Catpusher
Scott,

To add to MJB's and Randall's excellent advise:
 The pinion head bearing supplied by the factory was not off the  shelf
Timken.

The later TR6 pinion depth was adjusted by a selective shim between the
pinion head and head inner bearing.
How do you know that the shims that were in the assy were correct?

 The pinion drop distance is in the TR2/3 workshop manual, and there  are a
number of ways to measure it.  I used to go to the factory service  school
to use their M84A (it was so expensive that the Bay Area dealers would
borrow it)  I now have that tool and it is VERY Exact.
 For reliability, and to not turn valuable horsepower into wasted  heat, it
is important to follow the factory manual.  Use only WD40 to lube  the
bearings during assy and measuring.  Checking the contact patch is  essential,
but not as good as proper measurement first.  Watch for anything  that will
upset the bearings as they are fitted.  Use the correct loctite  on the ring
gear set screws.

This is the short version.

TR Regards,
Hardy