fot

Re: [Fot] SU Rebuilder

To: Todd Redmond <alfetta95@optonline.net> s=q20121106; t=1384228841; bh=6ZAGawI17+jVAnKMnNF/3Lsnpj7jWf8t/PwORXbxcBQ=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=kEi2rKrPGT8tGF+BS0/SrwZa8N5Fnlls3voUAFKf8Pxt1hFrhLKxW7FfjpzYlAHrE bNB8BqPAXz8Or6DI7BxYiO7M0UJFfI1aPP56wcXsFe3xQGCkJqVPc3b8jLLmWlQkXO bjMizAoTMNc4cvfCFBCdLeYc9ixPd2kADaMHFS2ooEMf9v2aEPz7qKRM3bJNrsQvd2 HkVT0M1NqfBqmDnc2mNaJp+ZlAzkZQgA4EMdmuKK45MKsRgmThA7FzJ817MRW1Z6AC Tpyg9uK55+88HywJkgIMnU1kAxJvBC+ohsHn7+Jvv1uQWSmwz/70EWOmzjyQf0QiwH go/bWapQiH8Jw==
Subject: Re: [Fot] SU Rebuilder
From: davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 04:00:40 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: "FOT@autox.team.net FOT@autox.team.net" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Joe Curto did my carbs and missed a couple things. I had meticulously cleaned 3
disassembled carbs and sent them to Joe to build a set with the best parts
between them.
While tuning I found that the dampers didn't match, one had a long shaft and
one short. I also found that one of the pistons was machined to a larger
diameter where the damper fits and one of the carbs, after about 300 miles of
use, started to leak fuel from the main jet seal.
The problem might be that Joe doesn't actually do the work, but I'm not sure
about that. In any event, details were missed. Oh, Joe did send a nice SU
coffee mug with the carbs, but unfortunately it was poorly packaged and the
handle was broken off during shipping.

I had communicated with Paltech before I send mine to Curto. They sure seemed
to be on their game and detail oriented. Their polishing is unique. Their price
is, if I remember correctly, less than Curto, but not by much. Both are very
reasonably priced and about half to 1/3rd the cost of a new set of SUs,
depending on HS6s or H6s. The difference in price was probably about the cost
of a coffee mug.

I checked Ray Marty's website and I think it's a fair bet that Ray will
actually be doing the work and to a quality level. One photo on his website
shows him milling the carb to manifold gasket surface... Really? The photos
remind me of a very detail oriented, shall I say completely annal retentive
machinist friend of mine.

Dave H.