fot

Re: [Fot] TR-4 / TR-6 tranny layshaft bearing mod?

To: "'Geoff Byrne'" <gkbyrne@optushome.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR-4 / TR-6 tranny layshaft bearing mod?
From: "Van Mulders Marcel" <van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:06:43 +0100
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
"...the problem is holding the hub..." : I think Geoff is right. Years ago,
I've asked a couple of machine shops to modify the layshaft : they didn't
like the idea, because, when the 2 needle roller bearings are not perfectly
in line, the modification makes things worse. Many layshaft bearings are
destroyed by lack of maintenance. The modified layshafts get new oil!
Perhaps one good quality caged bearing is strong enough?
When modifying, I would ask to fit a sleeve, like Steve Yott is doing.
Sure there are machinists who can do this conversion perfectly, even without
fitting a sleeve,but how can we know?
Marcel