fot

Re: [Fot] Light pressure plates?

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Light pressure plates?
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 21:41:08 -0600
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
Tony,

I don't know how the job was performed on my TR4-engined Morgan but it uses an
aluminum flywheel with an MGB clutch.  With a diaphragm spring it has a nice
over-center feel as the pedal goes down toward full deflection and the
engagement is like a street car.  No slippage problems with my particular
setup, but if your engine is putting out 160+ hp it would be good to check out
the expected power transmitting capabilities.  If you need something with
higher clamping forces, a Centerforce pressure plate increases clamping force
as rpm increases without making high rpm shifts difficult.

Duncan Charlton

On Dec 6, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Tony Drews wrote:

> So this discussion about harmonic balancers raised the issue of light
flywheel / pressure plate.  I've got a nice light flywheel, but am running the
stock diaphragm pressure plate because I really disliked the engagement
characteristics of the Tilton setup I originally had (it's a toggle switch, so
backing off the trailer and driving around the paddock is challenging).

> Is there a pressure plate out there that directly replaces the stock one but
is lighter?  I saw one on the 'net that looked like it might be lighter, but
it didn't give weight and the company didn't respond to my inquiry.