fot

Re: [Fot] Distributor Retard

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Distributor Retard
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 16:56:54 -0800
> If they only wanted it retarded at idle, there would be
> simpler ways to
> do it. My TR250 had a little valve which activated the vacuum retard
> with the throttle linkage.  Why make it vacuum dependent?

It wasn't really vacuum dependent on the TR6, any more than on your TR250.
They just eliminated the (complicated and troublesome)
valve by using a special port in the carb, placed such that it only "sees"
manifold vacuum when the throttle is fully closed.

IMO they only used vacuum at all because it was cheaper.  I've seen the same
setup on several other cars from the period, including
Audi, Mazda and Datsun.  ISTR my 74 Tbird had it too.

Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive