fot

Re: [Fot] Lime Rock report and tech inspections

To: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Lime Rock report and tech inspections
From: robert bownes <bownes@seiri.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 15:56:26 -0400
Cc: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
One can approach a Tech inspection as an adversarial relationship or as
consultative relationship. The latter is far more productive. As a tech
inspector, it is my primary job to make sure the vehicle is safe to race.
Within spec for it's class or sporting an unfair advantage is far far down
the list from there. And not something usually not addressed at a Tech
inspection unless it's really egregious. Those happen after the race in
impound. :)

As a constructor and driver, I do everything I can to meet or exceed safety
regulations, which is what Tech is there to look at in a pre-race check.
They are extra eyes who help to make sure I've not overlooked anything
obvious. If they tell me I don't pass, to me, that is a mark that I've
missed something pretty darn obvious and something to get upset at myself
about.

More than once I've asked a tech inspector to come have a casual look at
something that is near the edge of the rules for an informal opinion. They
can be very helpful. Same for stewards.

Play safe out there!
Bob