fot

Re: [Fot] Welding of a gearbox casing

To: Van Mulders Marcel <van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Welding of a gearbox casing
From: John Styduhar <johnstydo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 20:08:37 -0400
Cc: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Yes the case can be TIG welded but there may be shrinkage in the front or
rear bearing ports if the weld is near these openings.  I have an early TR2
trans and A-type OD and found a hairline crack nearly the entire
circumferance between the bellhousing and gear case .  I had an experienced
welder weld the entire crack and weld aluminun reinforcing pieces from the
casting boss on each side of the case to the bellhousing.  Later
transmissions do not have these bosses. The front bearing was very
difficult to remove when I got the tranny back but I was able to drive it
out from inside the case.