fot

Re: [Fot] early TR3 input shaft question

To: Steve Yott <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] early TR3 input shaft question
From: Kas Kastner <kaskastner@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:03:32 -0700
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>

--001a1140bd005ec6ec051d9a9533

Most of my engines has the bronze bushing and of course my TR-3, never a
problem.

*Never be beaten by equipment.*

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Steve Yott <tr4@wi.rr.com> wrote:

> Bob,
> I think you will end up with a "frankenbox" but it may work.  The early
> cars
> did use a bronze bushing in place of the caged bearing. The loads on the
> bushing or bearing in this area are not severe and I think a bushing would
> last a good long time but there must have been a reason for the change.
>
> The bearing outside diameter is 1.125" so you could make a bronze bushing
> fit the hole in the input shaft and size it for a slight press in fit.  The
> inner diameter hole should be about .002" larger than the snout on your new
> mainshaft.  The issue and concern will be the total length and alignment
> with the gears.  I would gather all the parts, lay it out and do some close
> measuring to ensure everything lines up properly.
>
> Could work, good luck!
>
> Steve Yott

e=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Bob,<br=

I think you will end up with a &quot;frankenbox&quot; but it may work.=C2=
=A0 The early cars<br>
did use a bronze bushing in place of the caged bearing. The loads on the<br=

bushing or bearing in this area are not severe and I think a bushing would<=
br>
last a good long time but there must have been a reason for the change.<br>
The bearing outside diameter is 1.125&quot; so you could make a bronze bush=
ing to<br>
fit the hole in the input shaft and size it for a slight press in fit.=C2=
=A0 The<br>
inner diameter hole should be about .002&quot; larger than the snout on you=
r new<br>
mainshaft.=C2=A0 The issue and concern will be the total length and alignme=
nt<br>
with the gears.=C2=A0 I would gather all the parts, lay it out and do some =
close<br>
measuring to ensure everything lines up properly.<br>
Could work, good luck!<br>
Steve Yott<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>