fot

Re: [Fot] early TR3 input shaft question

To: "malaboge@aol.com" <malaboge@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] early TR3 input shaft question
From: Bob Kramer <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 22:12:37 -0500
Cc: "enquiries@roadandtrack.net.au" <enquiries@roadandtrack.net.au>, "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-6B3E50EF-CDA5-48FA-98A0-C34C5AB8E236
        charset=us-ascii

I had a little time this weekend to work on the early TR3 tranny again and I=
 test fitted the gears on the mainshaft. This early box has the funky three e=
ared thrust washer, with holes.

I have two questions I hope can be answered. The three eared washer locks on=
to the splines on the mainshaft but there is a significant gap for the hub t=
o slide on the mainshaft. Is that hub supposed to slide or does another wash=
er go in front ? And, why the holes?=20

I don't see the extra washer in parts books.

I'm getting a custom bushing made to use a TR4 input shaft on the early main=
shaft.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 19, 2015, at 7:35 PM, malaboge@aol.com wrote:
>=20
> I agree, loose is the way to go with that bushing. The original style also=
 had a chamfered edge on the rear of the inside diameter, probably to help t=
he insertion of the third motion shaft into that bushing. The nose of the or=
iginal third motion shaft (rear mainshaft) had a scroll cut into it to help l=
ubrication, but the original bushings were smooth on both inside and out.
>=20
> I think the factory went to the larger needle style bearing to alleviate t=
he wear issue in the bushing as it allowed the trans to pop out of third gea=
r on decel when that bushing got worn enough to allow movement at that inter=
face.
>=20
> Good luck and check the triangular thrust spacer at the back of the box fo=
r cracks emanating from the corners of the teeth cut into it.
>=20
> my bushings are a bit worn as well...
> Nick in Nor Cal
>=20
>=20
>=20

        charset=utf-8

work on the early TR3 tranny again and I test fitted the gears on the
mainshaft. This early box has the funky three eared thrust washer, with
The three eared washer locks onto the splines on the mainshaft but there is a
significant gap for the hub to slide on the mainshaft. Is that hub supposed to
slide or does another washer go in front ? And, why the
7:35 PM, <a href="mailto:malaboge@aol.com";>malaboge@aol.com</a>
size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS, sans-serif">I agree, loose is the way to go
with that bushing. The original style also had a chamfered edge on the rear of
the inside diameter,<font face="Comic Sans MS, sans-serif"> probably to help
the insertion of the third motion shaft into that bushing. The nose of the
original third motion shaft (rear mainshaft) had a scroll cut into it to help
lubrication<font face="Comic Sans MS, sans-serif">, but the original bushings
were smooth on both inside and out.<br>
face="Comic Sans MS, sans-serif">larger needle style bearing to alleviate the
wear issue in the bushing as it allowed the trans to pop out of third gear on
decel when that bush<font face="Comic Sans MS, sans-serif">ing got worn enough
to allow movement at that interface.<br>
thrust spa<font face="Comic Sans MS, sans-serif">cer at the back of the box for
cracks emanating from the corners of the teeth cut into it.<br>

 -----Original Message-----<br>
 From: rkramer3 &lt;<a
href="mailto:rkramer3@austin.rr.com";>rkramer3@austin.rr.com</a>&gt;<br>