fot

[Fot] Charging a new accusump?

Subject: [Fot] Charging a new accusump?
From: levilevi at comcast.net (Bud R)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:39:25 -0700
Listerati,

I?ve got a question about how best to charge a new accusump. I replaced my old
one because I feared it might have been compromised with some shrapnel from
blowing up an engine and the fact it was a few decades old.

I?m trying to minimize the engine being started without oil pressure as much as
possible. I?d like to keep it to two times. I had to start it once (to break in
the new cam and lifters) without charging the accusump because I wanted to
catch any ?stuff? from the new engine in the K &P reusable oil filter and
didn?t want the new accusump to be involved in case there was metal particles,
etc. as a result of the first running. Fortunately there was none, except a
tiny tiny piece of gasket that had escaped all the cleaning and block cleansing
that had been done.

Now I?m ready to do one more start up and my plan is to run it so that the oil
gets filtered one more time and while it is running to flip the switch (it has
an electric valve)  to the accusump (2 quart) to fill it up and pressurize it.

Question is, should I add extra oil initially before the start up (which means
it will be 2 quarts over full) or fill it up once I throw the switch while the
accusump takes 2 quarts of oil from the existing oil in the system?

My concerns by are using the former method overfilling can cause problems and
the latter method means the system might be low on oil until I can quickly pour
another two quarts in.

What to do? At this point I?m leaning towards the latter method.

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)