fot

[Fot] Weather at PVGP/Kastner Cup

Subject: [Fot] Weather at PVGP/Kastner Cup
From: billdentin at aol.com (Bill Dentinger)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 17:45:00 -0400

That's sure Classic...Sock Hop...Stuff...

And 'Summertime immediately makes me think of Short Shorts (yeah, sure, but
also the recording)...

Did you know that Bill Dalton, who was VSCDA's Chief of Tech for years and
years, was one of the 'original Jersey Boys'.  He was the guitarist in the
Royal Teens, who's biggest hit was Short Shorts, followed later by a Doo Wop
version of Believe..  The Royal Teens' keyboardist, was Bobbie Gaudio, who went
on to join Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.  At barely sixteen years of age,
Bill Dalton had an incredible early 1950s Rock and Roll history touring the
country with some of the earliest Rock and Rolls stars.  He also appeared in at
least two movies, playing with the band.  He wrote a series of articles about
that period in his life which ran in VSCDA's newsletter.  That made great
reading for those of us who were teens in the 1950s..

Dalton was a close friend, and spent a great deal of effort trying to convey a
rough, tough 'Joisey image'.  But down deep he was an old softie.  I recall one
time he took out his wallet to get something to show Bob Wismer and I, and a
whole bunch of Holy Cards fell out.  That was no Big Deal for us, as we had
suspected as much all along.  He had a collection of guitars, including a
precious (to him) Chet Atkins Gibson, and a state of the art recording studio
in his home.  He died suddenly (heart attack) and far too early.  Even at the
end of his life he was still providing new 'guitar riffs' to folks active in
the industry.

Bill Dentinger