fot

[Fot] Do(o)med or flat lifters?

Subject: [Fot] Do(o)med or flat lifters?
From: rkrantz77 at comcast.net (Ron KRANTZ)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 11:32:59 -0400 (EDT)
The reason for a slight angel on the lifter is to keep it from digging into the
ramp on the cam lobe due to an aggressive acceleration design.  Typical
American (cannot say what European mfg. does) lifters have approximately a 60
inch radius.  I even have an additional edge radius put on the lifters.  The
cam lobes have a slight taper side to side for rotating the lifter.  Lift on a
cam is limited by base circle radius which in turn is limited by cam bearing
diameter.  Then you get into duration and how fast you can get the valve open.
All the Triumph "flat" tappets I have ever seen have a slight radius.  The
rules say you must retain the same type (flat, roller, mushroom) lifter as
stock.  My question is "how flat is flat".  Rule does not say the lifter has to
rotate.  If a lifter has a 0.75 inch radius across the lifter diameter and no
taper on the cam lobe,you can keep the lifter from rotating and accelerate the
cam opening very fast.  Think about that.