Re: joining of the clubs

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: joining of the clubs
From: "gbrierton" <gbrierton@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:31:06 -0400
A lot of effort has been expended in the past 15 years or so, trying to join
the AHCA and the AHCUSA, with some contact with the AHSTC.  Several people of
exceptional energy and vision have spent hours of time and money. Yes, some
towering egos from all sides have caused conflict.  No, that's not the main
reason that marriages have not been performed.  Among the factors that have
kept these clubs apart are:
  a.. a genuine desire by many Healey enthusiasts to have available the
choices offered by several clubs presenting different events, different
magazines, lots of tech talk, etc.;
  b.. the absolutely huge distances involved that not all Healey drivers want
to  tackle on a regular basis;
  c.. the (perceived) different "flavor" or "feel" of the existing Big Three;
  d.. the notion that these are clubs, for fun, and how much effort should be
spent trying to blend together some things that repeatedly  seem to want to
stay apart?
 I've owned an Austin-Healey since 1964 (with some "broken service") and have
been in AHCA since 1975.  I've been to events hosted by each of the Big Three
from Massachusetts to California, almost always in a Healey.  I'm OK with the
National scene as it is now and would be alright with it if some consolidation
were to occur.  It's the people and the cars that I enjoy, no matter where
they live and no matter what club to which they belong.  Of the thousands of
Healey owners I've met, I have never been able to guess which club collected
their dues, based on the person's social behavior.  There are winners and
losers in every group; it's just that there are more winners when the group is
made up of Healey enthusiasts!

GaryB