RE: Current Registration

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Current Registration
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:14:15 -0700
Hi, Michael -

I'm not exactly sure if by "registered" you mean registered/licensed to be
operated on the highway, as in registered with a state Department of Motor
Vehicles, or included in a Model Registry.  As you know, I keep the BJ8
registry, which currently has a record of 5,931 BJ8s worldwide (more than
33% of total production).  I do not attempt to distinguish between cars
registered and on the road, or not registered and under restoration.

If you mean the former, at one time it was possible to order a sort/printout
from a state DMV of a listing of all the cars registered in that state.  Due
to the Federal Driver's Privacy Protection Act, I do not believe that is
possible any longer [however, a friend has just provided me with printouts
of all Healeys registered in Texas, Louisiana, Missouri, Florida, and North
Carolina dating from 1990].  I'm pretty sure there is no website with this
information.

John Harper in the UK has a website that lists all of the 100 models (VIN
only) that are contained in the 100 register:
http://www.jharper.demon.co.uk/chassis1.htm
You can get the BJ7 total from Tom Blaskovics (tomkayb@verison.net), and the
BN4s/BN6s from Rudy Streng (CAWS58203@aol.com).  Other model registrars are
listed at http://www.serve.com/AHCA/ahcareg.htm

Of course, the various Model Registries can only account for cars that are
included in them.  The more cars out there that can be captured in the
registries, the more accurate is the count.  For some reason known only to
themselves, there are quite a few Healey owners who don't want to have
anything to do with listing their car in a registry.  Those cars will have
to remain unidentified until they are sold to someone with a more favorable
view of the benefits of registries.

Good luck with your project, and please let us all know the results.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry