Re: [Healeys] Vapor lock gas

To: BJ8Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Vapor lock gas
From: Alan Seigrist via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 09:27:11 +0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>, "N.S. Bennett" <nstbennett@gmail.com>

--000000000000a0e51505c217e9f9

Just goes to show if you are driving your car regularly (like I like to do)
the trick is to not rebuild with pistons that give you too much
compression.  In fact for the BJ8 it's good to bring compression down half
a point, although in HK the fuel is good enough for standard compression.

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 3:01 AM BJ8Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com> wrote:

> Nathan, I'm a little bit late with my response, so I'll just direct it to
> you.
> My two cents' worth:
>
> When I and my traveling companions were returning from Conclave 2008 in
> San Diego and we got to Missouri, we discovered that the highest octane
> available there was 91.  After filling up with that, both BJ8s missed and
> knocked and chugged until we got into Tennessee and refilled with 93 octane.
>
> Recently, a BJ8 owner called me to say he was in the area (300 miles from
> home) and his engine had begun to "click" under acceleration.  He thought
> it was a timing problem and wanted me to check that.  He mentioned that he
> had fueled up with non-ethanol.  Around here, some stations advertise
> "non-ethanol" but they neglect to say the octane was dropped from 93 (with
> ethanol) to 91 (without).  I suggested that he forget about non-ethanol and
> go with 93.  After that, during his return home, he had no more "clicking"
> problems.
>
> Ethanol-laced gas has its own issues (as you might remember from my Black
> Hills narrative, I had some aggravating stumbling and missing as I left
> home, due to the bad ethanol that had been in the tank too long),
> especially if the car isn't used much; but as long as I stick with 93
> octane, at least the engine runs as it should.
>
> Cheers!
> Steve

o much compression.=C2=A0 In fact for the BJ8 it&#39;s good to bring compre=
ssion=C2=A0down half a point, although in HK the fuel is good enough for st=
ass=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 3:01 AM BJ8Healeys &lt;<a href=
kquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:=
1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div><div>Nathan, I&#39;m a li=
ttle bit late with my response, so I&#39;ll just direct it to you.</div><di=
v><span style=3D"font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif;font-size:13=
.5pt">My two cents&#39; worth:</span></div>

 style=3D"font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif;font-size:13.5pt">W=
hen I and my traveling companions were
returning from Conclave 2008 in San Diego and we got to Missouri, we discov=
ered
that the highest octane available there was 91.=C2=A0 After filling up with
that, both BJ8s missed and knocked and chugged until we got into Tennessee =
and
refilled with 93 octane.</span></p>

 style=3D"font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif;font-size:13.5pt">R=
ecently, a BJ8 owner called me to say he was in
the area (300 miles from home) and his engine had begun to &quot;click&quot=
;
under acceleration.=C2=A0 He thought it was a timing problem and wanted me =
check that.=C2=A0 He mentioned that he had fueled up with non-ethanol.=C2=
=A0
Around here, some stations advertise &quot;non-ethanol&quot; but they negle=
ct
to say the octane was dropped from 93 (with ethanol) to 91 (without).=C2=A0=
suggested that he forget about non-ethanol and go with 93.=C2=A0 After that=
, during
his return home, he had no more &quot;clicking&quot; problems.</span></p>

 style=3D"font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif;font-size:13.5pt">E=
thanol-laced gas has its own issues (as you might remember from my Black Hi=
lls narrative, I had some aggravating stumbling and missing as I left home,=
 due to the bad ethanol that had been in the tank too long), especially
if the car isn&#39;t used much; but as long as I stick with 93 octane, at l=
east the
engine runs as it should.</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-=
bottom:0in;line-height:normal"><span style=3D"font-family:&quot;Times New R=
/div>