Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Setting Lever O-Ring

To: Steven Kingsbury <airtightproductions@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Setting Lever O-Ring
From: Michael Salter via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 07:26:40 -0400
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000f0fdce05c5e5e166

Actually the BN1 overdrive originally has a very small "lip" seal rather
than the "O" ring used in later units.
In order to get a good seal with an "O" ring I have found it necessary to
turn up a small spacer to keep the "O" ring correctly positioned.

On Mon., Jun. 28, 2021, 11:30 p.m. Steven Kingsbury via Healeys, <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I did this on my BN1. The pin is tapered and on mine, the larger end was
> towards the top, which made sense to me at the time. It was very easy to
> remove and went back in with no problem. Just used a very small punch on
> the lower side and it came right out. I did discover I needed two o-rings
> to replace the one originally fitted.
>    Not sure about yours, but mine was a very wide old o-ring. David Nock
> suggested a two o-ring solution (fitting two o-rings side by side) and it
> worked well. I had no more leaks. Good luck.
> Steven Kingsbury
> BN1 Now back on the road and running like the wind!
>
> On June 28, 2021 at 11:42 AM, Harold Manifold via Healeys <
> healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> I have a leak from the O-Ring behind the Setting lever on the overdrive. =
> know the O-Ring can be replaced without disassembling the overdrive unit
> once the setting lever is removed. The setting lever on my overdrive is
> held inplace with a solid push pin. Likely the original pin. I have tried
> to remove the pin with the right sized punch but it doesn=E2=80=99t budge=
.

> Before I break something, does anyone know what type of pin was likely
> used? Is it a straight pin or a tapered pin? If it is tapered pin any tip=
> on figuring out which is the big end. There is always drilling but not th=
> easiest place to get at.
>

> Thanks=E2=80=A6. Harold

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/airtightproductions@icloud.=
com

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--000000000000f0fdce05c5e5e166

uot;lip&quot; seal rather than the &quot;O&quot; ring used in later units.=
=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">In order to get a good seal with an &quot;O&quot; r=
ing I have found it necessary to turn up a small spacer to keep the &quot;O=
s=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon., Jun. 28, 2021, 11:30 p.m. Steven Kingsbury via He=
aleys, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.team.net=
0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div>I did thi=
s on my BN1. The pin is tapered and on mine, the larger end was towards the=
 top, which made sense to me at the time. It was very easy to remove and we=
nt back in with no problem. Just used a very small punch on the lower side =
and it came right out. I did discover I needed two o-rings to replace the o=
ne originally fitted.=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0Not sure about your=
s, but mine was a very wide old o-ring. David Nock suggested a two o-ring s=
olution (fitting two o-rings side by side) and it worked well. I had no mor=
M, Harold Manifold via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net=
" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote=
Normal">=C2=A0</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">I have a leak from the O-Ring behi=
nd the Setting lever on the overdrive. I know the O-Ring can be replaced wi=
thout disassembling the overdrive unit once the setting lever is removed. T=
he setting lever on my overdrive is held inplace with a solid push pin. Lik=
ely the original pin. I have tried to remove the pin with the right sized p=
lass=3D"MsoNormal">Before I break something, does anyone know what type of =
pin was likely used? Is it a straight pin or a tapered pin? If it is tapere=
d pin any tips on figuring out which is the big end. There is always drilli=
ng but not the easiest place to get at.</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">=C2=A0</p=
br>Support <a href=3D"http://Team.Net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer"=
>Team.Net</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target=3D"_blank"=
 rel=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested annual=
 donation $12.75<br><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/h=