Re: motors and Rear ends..(re: chucks letter)

To: "John Beckett" <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: motors and Rear ends..(re: chucks letter)
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:59:41 -0600
Okay and the spools aren't that expensive on the end of the day... I am
going to have three choices of gears for Speed weeks.. and three sets of
tires... I have the 28" Goodyear's even after seeing yours I bought a set..
and the 25" street tires... and I am looking for a good set that are in the
27 range... like a short track Nascar tire except it is only 9" wide...
designed for the Hobby stock class of circle track...

I am still looking for a 2:47 9" ford set... my basic gears are   2:75
3:00   3:25  right now all but the 3:00 set are open gears... I'll order
and install the spools and check that out... Thanks Keith

----------
> From: John Beckett <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>
> To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>; land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: motors and Rear ends..(re: chucks letter)
> Date: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 2:07 PM
>
>       Kieth
>
>       I have run open rears, detroit lockers and spools. The spool is the only
> thing for me on the Salt. If it was an easy swap I'd use a Locker at
> Maxton, but you'll have a bunch of rears sitting around considering gear
> changes and all.
>
>       John
>

> At 08:00 PM 1/18/99 -0800, Keith Turk wrote:
> >My take on the Open Vs Limited slip/locked differential maybe different
> >then reality..
> >
> >but this is my understanding  under extreme power the gears in an open
rear
> >end are virtually locked together... say about 175mph... this may even
be
> >true at say 55mph... but with the semi hard starting at Maxton I think
the
> >Locked rear end does you some good on the bottom end... So all of that
> >having been said I am going to follow my own advice here and run a Spool
at
> >Maxton and an open rear end on the Salt this year... John... Comments?
> >looking for a little advice here or a yea on the concept...
> >
> >Keith ( the sanding kind a guy )
> > Ps.... Wendy.... this is going to be the first time Chris my son sees
the
> >salt and my first opportunity to run a car on it... I would barrow and
> >enter my friends Yugo if it would get me on the salt in a Race car...
> >---------
> >  I'll probably check for a webiste for Diest today.  We were out
> >retrieving
> >a 4.2 liter Jag engine and trans yesterday.  On the way home with this
> >excellent ice breaker sitting proudly in the back of the truck we got a
> >little lost and ended up meeting an old woman who had a '62 Citron.
It's
> >so
> >butt ugly that it's COOL!  Very slick bubble shape.  It's been parked
for
> >at
> >least 10 years, so it'll probably need loads of work.  For Eric, whos'
shop
> >is called "Orphan Motors" it is just one more "must have" collectable.
He
> >figured if it wasn't restorable it would make a good sign platform to
put
> >at
> >the end of the road.  You can't miss it!
> >
> >  We got back on track and picked up three old junk Wankel rotor
housings
> >from another guys shop to use in the fabrication of a rotary mailbox.
All