HiBoys, Hilborns, Arduns, etc.

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: HiBoys, Hilborns, Arduns, etc.
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:49:09 -0500 (EST)
Hi Everybody.  Got onto this group a couple days ago because of the item
in BRN and I see that a lot of what is going around is useful.

I started my project 4 years ago(after a lifetime  in the motorcycle
building hobby - mainly Vincents) to build a '32 Ford roadster Hiboy
with Ardun in the style I admired as a kid in the '50s. To be used at
the ECTA meets and at Bonneville if I ever learned enough to make that
2000 mile trek.

When I started I didn't know anybody, and I asked Hilborn how to set up
my motor '50s style with '32 Ford-style rear gas tank, and belt drive
fuel pump in the original Ardun high position, using the water pumps
belt.  Hilborn told me how to plumb it all, using an electric priming
pump and check valve.  Car's done now, in the testing and de-bugging
stage.  Biggest problem is getting a reliable start on the starter, with
the priming pump, air bubbles, plug-wetting, etc.

Anybody out there tell me how I can manage all this for simple, reliable
starts every time?

I also acquired an Ardun roller cam with Herbert rollers that require
'guide-bar' installation. Anybody know how best to do that in a
Flathead?

Lastly, anybody got an Ardun Hilborn for the late center-outlet heads
they'll part with?

Thanks, Bill Hoddinott