Re: Transmissions

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmissions
From: John Beckett <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:30:31 -0400
        Dave makes a very interesting point about transmissions. A very
important
and often over looked part of the total combination. My current car has a
close ratio, 2.32 first gear, even that is to much. May next car will have
a very close ratio 4-speed, in the 2.0 to 1.9 range.
        Discovered last year that exceleration through the first two miles could
have as much as a 5 MPH difference in the five mile speed.

        John Beckett

At 10:26 AM 4/17/99 -0400, Dave Dahlgren wrote:
>I am a newcomer to land speed racing,since '93 but have raced cars
>professionally since I was 22, am 47 now.. So when I am out there I am
>at work.  Land speed racing is no different than any other that I have
>been to. There are a ton of tough decisions to make and I am not afraid
>to make them. The most important ones revolve around will I make it to
>the other end ? My philosophy may not work for most as I plan on setting
>a record when we go and at the end of the meet there does not have to be
>much left. This does not work for most people as the cost is $$$$$ . But
>every pass other than license passes on the car has been a record pass
>or the qualifying one before it. have probably jinxed this year by
>saying that but do not believe that much in luck, just hard work and
>good engineering. If I were in your shoes I would make all the trades
>necessary in order to get down the track and pump up the power as money
>allows. The only exception to this would be a transmission that allows
>you to change gear ratios at will.

        "Everyone that I have ever helped out there almost always had an
impossible combination of gear ratios. either overpower the track early on
or gear splits that can not be done and stay in the power band on the big
end.. There is as much thought required in the transmission than almost any
other part of the combination. read you NEED a CLOSE RATIO TRANSMISSION !!"