Headrests

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Headrests
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:24:18 -0400
Dave,

  I had a similar concern when I put the seat in my car.  The Kirkey
aluminum seat I used has a very nice high head rest, but I still wasn't
satisfied that it would provide the kind of protection needed, or required
by the rules.  The last thing I wanted was to get my head stuffed between
the top of seat and the roll cage in a nasty crash!  After studying several
NASCAR cages for design tips and asking questions to be sure I understood
the rules I welded a .125" x 1 1/2" steel strap into the roll cage across
the back of the seats headrest area.  With a piece of roll cage padding
installed over it it's only 1" from the seat back and well within the 3"
maximum from the back of my helmet.  With this headrest in place behind the
seat and the seat back bolted solidly to the cage structure, ala NASCAR
Winston Cup cars, I feel very secure and have had no trouble passing tech.
Hey, it even looks good!

Chuck Rothfuss
ECTA

<SNIP> The seat has the raised area for the head,