RE: Handling & Weight - another question

To: "'richard jurkowski'" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Handling & Weight - another question
From: "Ferguson, Darrell" <dfergus@bactc.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:48:37 -0700
Ron Pruett who runs the Pretty Lady AA/GCC - AA/GALT T-bird has his motor
set back 25% and I have been told that there is a video of him going through
the traps at Bonneville, and when he lets off, the car goes sideways about
20 degrees. I don't know how heavily his car is ballasted, or what his
weight distribution is, but it sounds like he might need some more ballast
up front. Again I think it goes back to last weeks discussion, concerning
weight distribution, polar moment of inertia, center of gravity,
aerodynamics, and how every car is different. Trial and error is the only
way to find out. I've been criticized for not setting the engine back enough
in our car, but we've got lots of ballast ahead of the rear axle so we'll
find out. We made it easy to adjust our weight distribution so we can remove
up to 600 lbs. off the rear and add up to 250 lbs. up front, plus we can
adjust the rear spoiler, and front airdam, so we have lots of tunability to
hopefully get it right. I'd suggest leaving yourself the ability to add or
subtract weight off of both ends.

        Darrell Ferguson
        BLACK RADON ENGINEERING
        # 939 BBFALT