Re: Spins

To: kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spins
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:33:45 EDT
Group,
        My entry into the Spin Club came in 1990. I was running the Ardun
"Gold Digger" Lakester on gas. I had qualified on a 175 minimum the day
before with a 175 pass, made my down run early in the morning with a 180, and
was on my way back, right in front of Gary Cagles timing stand.
        The course was very wet and slippery. I knew by the tach that I was
somewhere over 180 and the thing was still spinning the wheels at will. In
the 4th mile, I took a look at my gauges, and, when I looked back at the
course it was too late.
        Luckily someone was taking video and I got a copy. The car did a 180,
putting the heavy end in the direction I was going, swung back 90 deg to the
course one way and then the other, made a couple of minor oscillations, and
rolled to a stop going backwards.
        When it swapped ends my plexiglas canopy departed in a thousand
pieces. My first thought was that paragraph in the rules that says "a spin
terminates the record run". As we towed past Impound in the pits my crew
suggested that I go in anyway since we had been 186+ in the mile prior to the
spin. Lucky for me. The spin terminates but does not nullify the run. My 186
mile was in the same relative mile as the down run 180, so I got the
record..................Ardun Doug