Re: Spins

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Spins
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:39:52 -0700
Keith,
You don't drive through a spin. If you are lucky enough to recover from
a spin, lots of luck is on your side.
there are signs before a spin, the problem is to recognize them. Even
when recognized, we are all hero drivers and think we can gather it up.

When I spun the roadster, I had plenty of warning, lifting the throttle
would have saved it. As it happened the chute did save me from going
around more than once. The chute came out while the car was side ways,
when the car was backwards the car was facing a fully blossomed chute,
from there on it was a free ride.

When I spun the Peirson coupe, I had noticed no warnings, the rear
suddenly set to the left, I corrected and it spun around two times, then
I though I had it straighten out, but, then it spun four more times the
other direction. We averaged 181 MPH through the quarter in the process.
In reviewing a video of the spin, it was obvious the the car was wagging
its tail well before I lost it.

Spins are a part of Bonneville racing, but, I would not say they are
inevitable, if you use your head.

Good Luck!! The learning curve is steep for some of us.

Tom