Re: Pit Stalls on the Salt

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Pit Stalls on the Salt
From: "Beverly C. Stanley" <beverlycst@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 12:34:13 -0700
Keith - looks like you got some good suggestions so far - only other suggestion
I might make is to be sure your overhead shade is a netting type shade or has
halfmoons cut in at regular intervals to release the wind - otherwise you could
easily come in from making a run and find your camp site in a shambles. We get
heavy duty wind gusts from time to time which will just kill a shade tarp
unless it releases the wind as it comes in.
Most people take down their shade tarps every night - even the netting types -
because the wind can get crazy at night on the flats and there is absolutely no
one out there at night to take care of your stuff.
But I think you got all the best suggestions already - the sun is your worst
enemy - you really do need salt (worn on the salt only) shoes - cover every
inch of your skin - don't be suprised if you burn from the bottom up (reflected
sunlight from the salt) like on the underside of your nose -
take lots of water and keep a close eye on anyone with a history of heat
sickness -
Bev