Salt safety question

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Salt safety question
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:31:54 -0400
List,

  Had an odd experience today that may relate remotely to racing on salt.
Driving down one of my dirt "short-cuts" I was forced to cross a mound of
wet dirt left by a road grader.  Several miles later I got a severe
unbalanced tire sensation.  Turns out that the dirt had all but filled the
inside of one wheel and had been packed there as I drove.
  I've seen pretty good salt accumulations on cars, but does everyone follow
a routine of cleaning it all off after every run to prevent things like
this?  A couple ounces of salt in the wrong place could really spoil a good
run in a hurry.

Chuck